The soliloquies from Hamlet below are extracts from the full modern English Hamlet ebook, along with a modern English translation. Reading through the original Hamlet soliloquy followed by a modern version and should help you to understand what each Hamlet soliloquy is about:

O that this too too solid flesh would melt (Spoken by Hamlet, Act 1 Scene2)

O, what a rogue and peasant slave am I (Spoken by Hamlet, Act 2 Scene 2)

To be, or not to be (Spoken by Hamlet, Act 3 Scene 1)

Oh my offence is rank, it smells to heaven (Spoken by Claudius, Act 3 Scene 3)

Now might I do it pat (Spoken by Hamlet, Act 3 Scene 3)

How all occasions do inform against me (Spoken by Hamlet, Act 4 Scene 4)

More Hamlet soliloquies coming soon!

Read the full Modern English Hamlet

15 replies
Newer Comments »
  1. Anonymous
    Anonymous says:

Hey, what exactly IS a soliloquy? so if it’s Ok I would like a definition please. Your kindness would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

• la James
      la James says:

A soliloquy is someones private thoughts, musings-like talking to yourself; an inner dialogue one has with him/her self. A monologue is to talking to someone else.

2. MeadowLark
    MeadowLark says:

I don’t want them in Contemporary English… I want them in the original Modern English format.

Beowulf – Unknown Author – Old English (Anglo Saxon)
    Cleanness – Unknown Author – Middle English
    Hamlet – William Shakespeare – Modern English
    The War of The Worlds – H.G. Wells – Contemporary English

3. anonomous
    anonomous says:

Hi I really need a monologue on Hamlet of my Shakespeare Project which is due on Tuesday. I really need. Thank you in adviance

4. Shaga Narsaiah
    Shaga Narsaiah says:

Thank you for your detailed explanations of soliloquies of Hamlet play. I am very much impressed by this site as it is helpful to the teachers like me.

5. kels
    kels says:

Tomorrow is saint valentines day, all in the morning bedtime,and I maid at your window to be your valentine.

I wanted to know what this means in modern english.

Newer Comments »

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!